How is China Trapping Global South in It's Debt Web?

2024 • 3min • International • Geopolitics


Salaries or default on loans? That was the choice given by the Kenyan government to its citizens in April 2024, as it was necessary to pay off $82 billion public debt. No prices for guessing that, much of the debt is owed to China, a result of extensive borrowing to finance infrastructure projects. Kenya is spending 59% of its revenues to service debts, leaving only 41% for govt expenditures. News9 Plus decodes if it is China’s debt trap that’s behind Kenya’s economic mess.